fredag 8 november 2019

THE GARY BURTON QUARTET/LOFT FAKE ANAGRAM RD 7923 (-68) UK MONO

I've seen this mentioned as one of the first, or sometimes the very first, jazz-rock fusion album due to the interplay between Gary Burton and Larry Coryell. Well maybe I don't get the concept right or my ears aren't sensitive enough, but I don't get much "fusion" here. Instead I hear a very cool jazz album featuring tonal as well as rythmic ventures with Larry Coryell's guitar following Burton's jazzy vibraphone licks staunchly almost all of the time. Only thing on it I'd call rock or rockish is towards the end of "General Mojo Cuts Up" where the guitar howls sounds very much contemporary Jimi Hendrix. However that may be it is very good listening even for the non-jazz partisan - expertly performed pieces managing to combine smooth with adventurous in a way that keeps me both relaxed and alert at the same time...strange I know, but it's true. Audio on this UK mono is a-ok - warm and embracing. Premiere US and Canadian 1967 on RCA Victor (LSP/LPM 3901), also originally issued on RCA in France (740.539), Germany (LSP 3901) and Japan (SHP 5719). Japan 2014 CD on RCA (SICP 4259). First UK had label as shown here and laminated cover. (CLÄZ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hi,
    is it possible to download the album?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Sorry, but I don't have the equipment to offer that service, but You can get the whole album on Youtube.

    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gary+burton+lofty+fake+anagram+

    SvaraRadera