lördag 15 januari 2022

THE BEATLES/SGT. PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND PCS 7027 (-67) UK STEREO


 Already the most overanalyzed record regardless of format, but feel I have to write something, so here I go. Have to admit I never had much interest in the original stereo version of this icon before. As it was early known that the band were involved in the mono mixing to get it exactly as they wanted it to be heard, while the stereo was made second hand by studio engineers, the mono became my only way in and I never looked back. But it is one of the Beatles LP:s where the formats differ most, so lately I've been curious if the stereo could reveal something new to me. Not going in to all details and differences here, they are well handeled on other places, so this is just from my listening chair.  The stereo mixes are very good for their time, the audio is superb and if I wasn't that used to the mono I would have been very pleased. Now it takes time to get used to a couple of things - e.g. the slower "She's Leaving Home", the reverb on "Fixing A Hole" and the somewhat smoother title tracks - but I will. To me the largest dissimilarity lies in the enterity. On the mono you get the feeling every track was mixed with the others in mind, making the listening a cohesive journey you can take from beginning to end in the same magic atmosphere. The stereo gives a more split impression. I get a collection of superb songs, but without that unique flow the mono offers. Now end of this dissecting. This is a great album either way and I guess most Beatles collectors already have or decided to get both anyway. Nuff said!   (BÄ*)  (PÖX*)  (LGÅ*)

                                                                                 
                                                                           
                                                                                 


                                                                                 

                                                                             


 



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar