lördag 12 november 2022

PETER GABRIEL/PASSION 303 539 (-89) EU


  Initially composed as soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese movie "The Last Temptation Of Christ", but after spending time changing and developing the music, Peter Gabriel decided to release it under his own name and it became his eighth album. And since I haven't seen the movie or heard the original soundtrack I'm taking it in as a regular studio album. Listening to it now it has very little in common with the two surrounding regular albums - the 1986 "So"  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2020/03/peter-gabrielso-pg-5-86-uk.html  or the 1992 "Us" https://monolover.blogspot.com/2020/04/peter-gabrielus-213-143-92-germany.html . I know it has been grammy awarded and celebrated as a landmark of world music, but I can't get all in. Gabriel is one of the best songwriters of his time, able to include important messages in more or less regular songs bursting with feelings going right to the gut and heart. I don't get enough of that here. Even if very well arranged and performed by a number of skilled artists it doesn't move me as I had hoped. Maybe having seen the movie would have helped...or maybe I just don't have the brains for it. I will keep it as part of my Genesis/Gabriel collection, but doubt I will spin it a lot henceforth. Full album below if You wanna try. Issued and reissued all over the world on 2xLP, CD and cassette through the years.  Premiere EU had label as shown here in a stickered laminated cover with pic/lyric/info inners.  (GYÄ*)

                                                                                
                                                                                 
                                                                                       
                                                                                   
                                                                            






 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar