fredag 18 april 2014

CLIFFORD T WARD/HOME THOUGHTS CAS 1066 (-73) UK

I guess we all have mood albums. However you feel there are always a few that fits. For exemple Zappa makes me smile, I get dirty with Ashkan or Pretty Things, intellectual with Eno and challenged by Colosseum and King Crimson. I also have a lot that goes with any aspect of romance - from courting to lost loves. When alone I often prefer warm and cozy like the presence of sympathetic friends. June Tabor's "A Cut Above" and Harvey Andrew's first two albums does it. This is a new addition for me to that sentiment. A while ago when I found the "One More Chance" sampler I immediately fell in love with the "Wherewithal" song and couldn't believe I passed it by for all those years. Bought this corresponding album the next day and it was more of the same - friendly baroque pop with elaborated melodies and reflective lyrics. The atmosphere is wistful but never sad and the arrangements partly overflowing. I've seen it being called "overproduced", still the orchestrations fit the songs perfectly and enhance rather than cover up. Clifford T Ward (1944 -2001) released eleven original albums from 1972 and on. Got married with his high school sweetheart at seventeen and through his life always put family before carreer. He didn't like touring or public performances which was the main reason he never had a big breakthrough. 1984 diagnosed with MS but contiued to write and record at home, cared for by family up to his death from pneumonia 2001. This was his third album and second on the Charisma label. Since he is a rather new aquaintance I haven't heard a lot of his stuff yet, but to me this was a revelation and hoping to get more like it in the future. Favorite tracks - "Wherewithal", "Gaye" and "The Traveller". US first on Charisma (FC 6061). UK 1992 CD on Virgin (CASCD 1066). First UK had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover. (SYSÖ*) (CÄX*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar