lördag 5 april 2014

SAVOY BROWN/MAKE ME SWEAT SNTF 1001 (-88) UK

I was a faithful fan of their special blues style up to the early seventies. Around the 1971 "Street Corner Talking" album as the songwriting became less emotive and the sound more compact I lost interest and the band disappeared from my radar. So seventeen years and thirteen albums later through at least ten different settings I didn't expect this to attract me at all, but it does. Not by touching my heart and soul, but I can't help moving head and feet when I hear it. Guitarist Kim Simmonds only original member with earlier vocalist Dave Walker making a comeback and bass/drums played by short term associates (1986-89) Jim Dagnesi and Al Macomber. It's a crude blues rock album with smashing guitars. You don't get a tired old rock band at all, they almost sound young and fresh. My impression is live in the studio with few overdubs and the audio comes big, clear and natural. Some of the cuts are borderline hard rock while others make me think of Captain Beefheart - e.g. "On The Prowl". "Hard Way To Go" is a re-recording of the 1970 "Raw Sienna" song, but not as good. Favorite tracks - "Just For Kicks" and "Running With A Bad Crowd". US and German on GNP Crecsendo (GNPS 2193). 1990 CD on GNP (1066750). First UK had label as shown here and glossy cover with Sonet discography inner.(SÄVX*)(SÖNÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar