söndag 15 juni 2014

TIM BUCKLEY/BLUE AFTERNOON STS 1060 (-69) UK

For background check post on the "Goodbye And Hello" LP http://monolover.blogspot.se/2013/04/tim-buckleygoodbye-and-hello-ekl-318-67.html . After three Electra albums he moved to Zappa's Straight records, this being his first for the new label. It took a while for me to get into "Goodbye And Hello" - so honest and revealing for its time and so eclectic I had a hard time seeing it as a coherent piece of art. When it finally got to me in its full glory I wanted more of the same and went looking for a follow-up. Buckley was almost unknow in Sweden back then and this was the only issue I could find in the local shop. At first I was disappointed - no more daring adventures, just a couple of mostly traditional jazz cuts carrying bluesy lyrics. Not what I expected and certainly not what I needed in my late teens, so I put it away and didn't touch it for years. With growing age I've learned to appreciate it more - the cool impact and insightful lyrics fits the mature mind better and even if I don't sit down and devour, it's a nice and friendly background to home chores or relaxed socials. Premiere US on Straight with same number, tracking and sleeve design. This UK is cut a little too loud to my taste. Not all disturbing, but I feel a less offensive engraving would have fit the music better. First had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover. (SYSÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar