måndag 2 mars 2020

THE BEACH BOYS/PET SOUNDS UK MONO T 2458 VS. UK STEREO ST 2458

No need to praise this moreover. Commonly known as one of the true sixties classics, outshined by very few others from the decade. Willfully beautiful and once in your mind impossible to get rid of. We all agree so nuff said bout that. It's not often you bump in to issues where both formats seems to be fake. Only ones I can think of right now is The Who "Direct Hits" (see earlier post) and this. At the time it was produced and released mono was it for Brian Wilson, so that was the ground mix while the stereo treated second hand as a "Douphoinc" fake. But, as the story goes, the British never got any original mono tape from US and instead had to make a fold of the fake stereo for their mono version. Too painful for me to make a thorough comparison, but this mono sure sounds like some kind of fold. Not bad per se and certainly allowing you to take part and enjoy, still unnecessarily dense with subpar separation. Never had a US original mono, but weighing in all good things I've heard about that, this can't be it. In this case the fake stereo sounds way better - wider and more detailed providing much better listening. However it's still an open question for me of what kind this mono might be. Maybe the story is wrong and the dense outcome arose from some kind of mistreatment during the UK pressing...anyway I'm longing to find a US mono that hopefully will blow my mind even further away. Be back when I do. First UK had structured labels with "Capitol" logo to the left as shown here and laminated flip back covers with EMI ad inners. (BÅB*) (MÅW*) (CPYC*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. I've had my (US) mono copy since 1966. Sounds great. A little muddy for my taste but not bad at all. The duophonic versions were electronically created by Capitol from the mono master. The stereo mixes that are out now were created when the Pet Sounds Box came out in the late '90s.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the input Bill! Not so keen on later remakes, but still yearning for that first US mono...as Brian himself intended it.

      Radera
  2. I would love to read your audio comparison on my favourite Beach Boys LP, Wild Honey.
    A monolover shoot-out between the original UK mono and the original UK stereo.
    Your website is wonderful and I have enjoyed reading it for years.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Thank You for Your kind words. Will do a WH comparison soon as I find a playable UK stereo. Always loved listening to the UK mono and always thought that was the real thing, but like You I'm curious exactly how the two relates.

    SvaraRadera