torsdag 5 mars 2020

LED ZEPPELIN/III SD 7201 (-70) US

Writing this in the wee hours without any kind of plan...so let's see where it goes. I could say it is one of my favorites with the band and that in my world "Immigrant Song", "Celebration Day" and "Out On The Tiles" are some of their best songs, but then what? Better just let my inner nerd out of the box and rant about pressing and audio instead...sorry if it gets too messy. Had many copies of various origins through the years and most of them US, but seldom been totally satisfied with the audio. Some coming out too weak to my ears and a couple almost bass-less. There were a large number of pressings and variations issued in US alone during the seventies and eighties, sprung from diverse pressing plants and/or different masterings. Most of that and a timeline can probably be deciphered from the matrix etchings, but that also means to keep track of the context... which would be the American record industry back then...and that's just too much to handle for this old Swede. However that may be the copy shown here actually sounds very good - loud, clear and well separated with partly big bass - and since I'm not sure about the timeline and not fully updated on all details about the pressing thought I'd just give the etched matrix info and You figure it out. Some too vague for my eyes, following is what I can see. Side 1 - ST-A-702005-A, (1) One, Mastercraft PR PRC, So Mote Be It, AT. Side 2 - ST-A-702006-B, (2) Two, Mastercraft PR, So Mote Be It, AT. "PR" shows it was pressed at Presswell Manufacturing Company in New Jersey and from a Steve Hoffman thread I learned "Mastercraft" concerns lacquer cutting, but from who or what I can't seem to figure out. Anyway if you're hunting for a US LZ III with good audio it could be a contender. Don't know what year it was pressed, though as it has the "Rockefeller Plaza" label, but also original sleeve with revolvable disc, SD 7201 number and no bar code I'm guessing sometime 1973-75. Right me If I'm wrong. All further knowledge is welcome. (YZÄ*) (LÖZ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar