lördag 21 mars 2020

THE WHO/FACE DANCES HS 3516 (-81) US

The Who was one of the bands who's albums I spent a lot of time with in the sixties. Then just part of my everyday life, but looking back I understand why they were so important for the still growing teen. There was a tough surface well fitting the often unsecure guy, but also good catchy melodies to cling to and it all came innovative, not seldom with some kind of vision. For me that went on till "Who By Numbers", which to my taste was their last great album. After that it seems band members fatigue and bad health in combination with changing studio surroundings caused a change of direction. I still bought their albums back then, but as they didn't sound exactly like the band I knew and loved I started to lose interest. On this their ninth studio album, released after Keith Moon passed away and being replaced by former Small Faces/Faces drummer Kenny Jones, I hear an ageing band. Songwriting still top-of -the -line, but presentation rather uneven. A couple of the songs work for me - like "You Better, You Bet", "Another Tricky Day" and "Daily Records" - but as a whole it doesn't embrace or floor me the same way as many of their earlier albums. However it did very well, reaching #1 in Canada, #2 in UK and #4 on Billboard, eventually selling millions and earning platinum status in US. Audio on this US press is very good. As it has "GUARANTEED BRAND SPANKING WHO" etched on side one matrix and "WHO IS JOE SUIT" on side two, I guess they were originally UK made (right me if I'm wrong). Issued and reissued on every possible format through the years. Premiere UK on Polydor (WHOD 5037). Japan 1999 CD on Polydor (POCP 9207) came with five bonus tracks, 48 page booklet, mini poster and obi. First US vinyl had label as shown here in a fully laminated cover with lyric/credit inner and large "face" poster. (YZÄ*) (WÖH*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar