fredag 13 mars 2020

THE JACKSON FIVE/ABC STML 11156 (-70) UK

I wasn't all in with their third album (see earlier post), too cute and mushy for my taste. This second, which also became a big breakthrough - reaching #4 on Billboard and spawning two #1 singles - fits me a little better. I get more up-tempo and more of the power combined with hard hitting melodies that made me love Motown in the sixties. "ABC", "The Love You Save", "(Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need" and "The Young Folks" are good danceable funk numbers and "I'll Bet You" very cool on the psych side. Listening to the whole LP in one sweep my myringas get a little tired hearing young Michael's very strained voice in the lead almost all of the time. Even if it was cute back then, now almost fifty years later with all that's been it comes too much for my ears. But taken by themselves some of the songs can still hit hard even 2020, at dance parties or as an excuse to get up on your own for an absolutely fabulous work-out on the living room floor. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. Premiere US on Motown (MS-709). First UK had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover with Motown ad inner. (TÖMÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar