tisdag 12 september 2017

ARGENT/COUNTERPOINTS RS 1020 (-75) UK

After listening to and enjoying a vast range of music styles during the last sixty years I've become a man with many differing tastes. Good because the more you enjoy the more fun you'll have, but it also often means when I get one I miss the others. I do like psych and/or prog adventures, but also a sucker for romantic and simple catchy stuff, enthralled by both grimy garage and smooth high-pitch male vocals. On this I may miss the garage aspect, but the other ingrediences are there, blended to my gusto. It was the band's seventh and last album, following some recent member changes and a switch from Epic to RCA. It didn't sell, probably because of the genre crossovers - too much pop and rock to please the prog lovers and too proggy for the fans of melodic pop. To my ears it's an attractive swansong. Already the opening track "On My Feet Again" is filled with good - catchy melodies sung by high-pitch voices to tempo changes and adventurous rhythms. Same pattern goes for "Be Strong", "Time" and "Butterfly" - directly striking and memorable. "Road Back Home" is a simpler ballad, but beautiful with tons of feeling. Today an album not considered especially collectible by the vinyl in-crowd and therefore comparatively cheap when you find it. So now's the time to pick it up. Forgotten gems tend to get dearer when remembered and I'm sure this will be eventually. Originally also released in US and Canada (U.A. LA560-G), Germany, Italy and Spain (all RCA). To my knowledge never issued on CD. Premiere UK had labels as shown here and thin matt cover. (ZÖZ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar