måndag 8 juni 2020

ELTON JOHN/MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER DJLPH 420 (-71) UK

His fourth album. Listening to it now I really miss the old days. Know I have antiquated tastes with my ears and mind congealing long time ago, but I do prefer real orchestral backing and big human quires over digital mimicking. Here I get beautiful melodies and concerned lyrics, all self penned, with orchestral arrangements by Paul Buckmaster (1946-2017), who also worked with David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion among others. I like those strings very much, making me feel both embedded and elevated at the same time. And since they're authentic providing a perfect fit to the delicate songs. Couldn't even imagine what they would sound like if all wrapped in synths. Like an elf in a plastic shirt or eating goose liver from a paper plate. In any case this is ear candy all through, melodic and sentimental in the best possible way. Hard to pick favorites, but if I have to - "Tiny Dancer". Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. First US on UNI (93120). UK 1995 2xCD (DJLPH 420) came with thirteen bonus tracks. Premiere UK had label as shown here on dark red vinyl in structured fold/out cover with booklet.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar