lördag 13 juni 2020

LED ZEPPELIN/THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME SS 2-201 (-76) US

Listening today it's obvious they were one of the best live rock bands back then. Not many other combos could get top performances from every member so tight on such a big stage in front of a vast public and make it work all the way. Soundtrack to a concert movie filmed at Madison Square Garden at their 1973 world tour, but for different reasons both movie and soundtrack were held back three years before finally released 1976. I saw them in Stockholm during that tour, sitting just below stage, and was blown away. Probably wrong to compare my own experience from back then with what I'm hearing from a peace of plastic today, but I'm doing it anyway. What I saw and heard in Stockholm was a four piece rock band consisting of real people. Stoned I guess and struggling maybe, but the music was tight and powerful hitting like a pile driver in the gut. Far from ordinary of course, yet in a way they came out more as buddies than ikons. No one could expect an album to exactly capture such presence, but hearing this now it's like they didn't even try. I'm getting too much of everything, overproduced under a glossy surface, creating a distance that will paint you a picture rather than let you in. So for me a top show, just badly delivered. I'm aware remakes have been done bringing more direct audio and I will post one of those later, this is about the original only. And in spite of all the above there are still lots of good things to encounter. If you can go beyond the surface and comprehend the core there's tons of good live music to enjoy. Also the fold/out package for this US original (Presswell) is beautiful having pics with submerged frames on front and back, wide spine, black inners and a six page booklet inside. Yummy! (LÖZ*) (YZÄ*) (LYBÖ*) (ZÖNT*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar