måndag 4 juni 2012

SMALL FACES LK 4790 (-66) UK MONO

Together with The Who one of the leading "Mod" groups of the sixties. Started 1965 and had a bunch of list toppers and a few big selling albums till the break-up -69, when Marriot went to Humble Pie and the rest coupled up with Rod Stewart and reformed as "Faces". This is the debute album. It's a nice collection of covers and a few self-penned songs, though most of it is bought from US blues and rock and re-worked. Maybe the guys weren't the best instrumentalists, but all is saved by Marriots special vocals. Released in UK as mono only, not sure if it was originally issued in US at all. I remember first time hearing Led Zeppelins "Whole Lotta Love" I thought - Hey, that's a Small Faces song! And I was right...and wrong. Small Faces made their own version of a Willie Dixon number "You Need Love", but took all song writing credits themselves (Marriot/Lane). Then Zeppelin got inspred by the SF version and used that to build their own hit "Whole Lotta Love", this time credited to (Page/Plant). It is clear Zeppelin not only used the SF mid-section of the song, but Plant also almost totally copied Marriots vocal style on it. How ever great those tunes was it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. All got theirs except the original composer Willie Dixon (allthough I've seen Zeppelin did gave him both credit and money years after). First UK with ridged label as shown here and laminated cover. (SXÅH*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. I hope you won't be offended, but in my humble opinion Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band in rock history. They have only one great album - debut album. And maybe second album is very good. But later they recorded many boring pieces. Their career was building on ideas very often 'stolen' from other musicians.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yup a lot was stolen, but that goes for many rock groups from the sixties and on - there's only so much you can do with three chords :) I don't idolize them, but they were one of the greatest live groups ever. I saw them twice - 1970 outside London and 1973 in Stockholm - and especially the Stockholm concert was as good as it gets. I agree first album is good, but my fav is "III" and I also still enjoy "Physical Grafitti".

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. You've right - III is good too, especially songs with folk influences like 'Gallows Pole'. I've never seen their live :-( After all those years I think there was many other brilliant groups like T2 but their lost very quickly. 'It'll All Work Out...' is top album! And second unreleased album is perhaps even better(?)

      Radera
    2. Yes "Boomland" is great. I guess You saw my post on that. There were so many fine group during that period - I really like "Family" and the "Bandstand" album.

      Radera
    3. Yes, I saw. I've never heard about mono version of this album. It's very interesting.

      I know only first four albums of Family and I am huge fan of 'Music In A Doll's House' and 'Entertaiment'. Fantastic music.

      Radera
  3. If You like Family I truly recommend Bandstand - the most elaborated and well produced they made and every track is a winner.

    SvaraRadera