tisdag 2 oktober 2012

ROCK ' N ' ROLLING STONES SKL 5149 (-71) UK

After Stones left, UK Decca released a serie of compilations with rare or unissued material they still had the rights to. These were not authorized by the group and can mainly bee seen as an attempt to cash in on the groups enormous success with their new label. Some in the serie reached top 20 on the UK list and considering the rarity of some of the tracks the idea was not all bad. But to my ears the choice of mixes could have been a lot better. According to cover and label six of the tracks are fake stereo (those marked with * on song list below) and the remaining six true stereo. Not an expert on the two-channel mixes of the sixties and for some of the early recordings - knowing Decca was not always true about those things - I'm having a hard time to tell excatly wich is fake and wich is legit just by listening. (If You know for sure - I would be grateful for a comment.) I can take either way - original mono or properly mixed stereo - but I don't care much for issues like this. As I see it most recordings are made with a purpose and that goes all the way from playing, through mixing table and mastering, to engraving. If you change any of those parameters afterwards it's gotta be better to be pleasing - and this is not. Early UK issues with label as shown here, thick vinyl and laminated cover. (RÅ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. The true stereo tracks are A6, B2 & B5 (and possibly B6 if it's the live version from Ya-Ya's, I forgot).

    This record is the ONLY place so far where you can hear B2 in stereo.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks Prof. I knew I could trust You on this :) So it's the only place? These issues are always sitting loose in my collection, but if that's a fact this one is a keeper.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Yep. A number of vintage stereo mixes of pre-1966 Stones tunes have seen the light the last 25 years. Nearly all of them appear on the current or older remasters, except this one (plus Last Time & Have You Seen Your Mother which are bootleg only).

    I should add I was made aware of this fact by lukpac. http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

    SvaraRadera
  4. Good to know and thanks for the link :)

    SvaraRadera