fredag 7 september 2018

THE TOURISTS/LUMINOUS BASEMENT RCALP 5001 (-80) UK

Any Eurythmics fans still out there? Never one myself, though I had a girlfriend who loved them back then so I got to hear a lot. My only liking was "Missionary Man" while the rest just passed me by without much trace. Not ready to revisit their work just yet, still too much synths and eighties ambience for my gut, but maybe later. With that in mind it feels very refreshing listening to this third and last album by The Tourists, released just before Annie Lennox and David Stewart left to form Eurythmics. Most of it skaish pop/rock with a new wave touch. I get lots of raw guitars, some nice organ and enough quirks to keep me alert. And even if some of the cuts slightly remind of later Eurythmics stuff, they come through a lot better here when played by a rock setting with only a minimum of synth intervention. I especially like the harder rock tracks - "Walls And Foundations", "Angels And Demons" and "I'm Going To Change My Mind" - but also the cool weird "One Step Nearer The Edge". In the larger scheme of things maybe not as crowd-pleasing as Eurythmics, but they got my attention and I think it'll last. Originally issued on vinyl in Europe, US and Canada (Epic NJE 36757) and Downunder (VPL1 3270). Japan 1997 CD on RCA/BMG (BVCM-7305). Premiere UK had label as shown here, stickered glossy cover and pic/lyric/credit inner. Early copies also came with a yellow vinyl bonus single - A-side "From The Middle Room" Kraftwerk style synth psych/B-side "Into The Future" a Ramones-like uptempo rocker. To my knowledge that was UK only.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar