lördag 3 november 2012

MODERN JAZZ QUARTET/UNDER THE JASMIN TREE SAPCOR 4 (-68) UK

This was MJQ's 29:th LP and their first of two on Apple. For the other - "Space" - check this  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/11/modern-jazz-quartetspace-sapcor-10-69.html  . I've had a few of the early ones and to my ears there's not much difference through the years. It's good solid soft jazz, perfectly performed within same formula and rules. Reliable but not very exciting. Of the first six UK issues with Apple APCOR/SAPCOR prefix this is the only one that didn't have a double release. I can only guess why. While the other five were recorded in England, where at the time most recordings automatically got two separate mixes, this was made in USA where mono was phased out by then. So it's not a UK Apple recording, the production and mixing was already done, they just recieved and issued it. The matrixes of the first press have two settings of stamped numbers - STAP 2 A1/STAP 2 B1 and below them SAPCOR 4 A1/SAPCOR 4 B1. I'm curious if the "STAP" matrixes are from the US stock release - anyone here knows? I had an Argentine mono of this a while ago, a fold down, but since the stereo is a perfect compatible that also sounded great. First US on Apple (ST 3353). 1:st UK with label as shown here, thick unflexible vinyl and laminated cover. (BÄ*) (ÄPLÄ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Still reading your blog, ML. Just didn't find much time or inspiration to comment the last weeks, but I'm not gone. Keep going.

    Cheers,
    PS

    SvaraRadera
  2. I know mate...having a hard time finding that myself now. Must take a break soon :) Thanks for popping in, I appreciate it.

    SvaraRadera