lördag 7 februari 2015

INEZ & CHARLIE FOXX LP 1037 (-65) US MONO

The duo's Greatest Hits from 1968 I found and posted a while ago made me recognize they were more than just "Mockingbird" and a one hit wonder. Stumbled over this soon after and bought it as an original studio album, but it turned out to be another semi-compilation combining six '45 cuts from 1963-65 with newer recordings. So you don't get the result of coherent studio sessions, but a rather uneven collection of various efforts. Best tracks are the up-tempo r&b/soul blends. "My Momma Told Me", "Hurt By Love" and "Ask Me" all have an unembellished garage atmosphere with rampant female vocals giving me an instant connection. The calmer numbers are duller, but decent. I'm getting exactly the same vibes from this as from early Ike & Tina Turner, but more a variation than copying. First UK on London (HAC 8241). Premiere US had label as shown here and glossy cover. (FÄV*) (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar