måndag 23 februari 2015

YES/CLOSE TO THE EDGE K 50012 (-72) UK

I first discovered Yes through their third LP - "Yes Album" - with the former two coming into my life much later. I devoured every note of that and the follow-up "Fragile" and remember thinking there was no way they could top those - the enticing blend of catchy tunes, elaborated passages and equibrilistic performance - but they almost did here. Back then I was totally mesmerized by the title track and couldn't get enough of Steve Howe's long, almost violent guitar intro sliding into the beautiful lead theme or Chris Squires counterpointing bass play in "Siberian Khatru" (I even listened through the whole album a few times just concentrating on the bass - worth it!). From a later perspective it's clear this was the first step into a progressively introvert phase where individual skills, complicated structures and groovy messages became more important than actual songs - as shown on following "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and "Relayer". I couldn't care less then, but when listening today the set-up seems almost too pretentious with some parts making me feel disconnected. More expert but also less inviting. Still like it a lot and keep it as one of the best prog efforts of the period, yet IMO not as warm or melodic as "Yes Album" which also remains my Yes favorite. First US on Atlantic (SD 7244) with similar label, sleeve and insert. Premiere UK had label as shown here, fully structured cover and thin paper inner. (JÄZ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Yeah, a prog watershed for sure. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like Tales From Topographic Ocean even better...there's kinda a glowing serenity about that despite "difficult" and weird/awkward passages. All the rough edges of that one have smoothed for me over time and it became my favorite. All best, and thanks again for your efforts!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. A great group with something for everyone. On "Tales" I really like side one - The Revealing Science Of God - very warm and melodic with an attractive lead theme. So far I'm not that attracted by the rest, but there's still time :)

      Radera
  2. For me it was last great album by this group. Wonderful ending in the title suite. Pure magic.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Fantastic band and even if not all following albums were 100% to my taste there are very good moments on most. For exemple side one on "Tales" is stunning and "Going For The One" has a couple of great songs.

      Radera