fredag 20 februari 2015

ROD STEWART/NEVER A DULL MOMENT 6499 153 (-72) UK

My first acquaintance with Rod Stewart was him doing vocals with Jeff Beck Group and Faces. JBG:s early hard rock and Faces sloppy pub rock were on most of my late teen parties and thus part of many fond memories. Still that's the Rod I like most - as part of jolly band's, not the posh solo artist. I didn't buy his Vertigo solo LP:s back then. My first became "Every Picture Tells A Story" (see earlier post) which in many aspects reminded of the Faces collaborations - band enhanced, but at least partly same backing and atmosphere. On this follow up a year later it's even more so. About the same personel though now a little less elegant and more rock'n'roll. Three of the cuts co-written by Stewart and Ron Wood, one by Stewart and Mark Quittenton (Steamhammer) and four covers. Up to now this has been my favorite of all his solo albums - because I don't get it as a solo effort. Even if Kenney Jones just plays on one track (Micky Waller doing the others) the rest of the band is there most of the time and the attack and whole ambience makes it almost entirely like a Faces album. And that does it for me. First US on Mercury (SRM-1-646). Premiere UK black label issues in matt triple fold/out cover - either imported US, or UK made by Howards Printers (Slough). (SXÅH*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar