fredag 24 november 2017

OLA & THE JANGLERS/FINGERTIP - LET'S DANCE GMG 1214 (-68) SWEDEN

This was their sixth original LP and last before original setting breakup. I'm confused deciding what title to write. Recorded under the name "Fingertip", but as the 45 "Let's Dance" became a large hit the name was changed to that during printing. So first press label has "Fingertip", while all sleeves and other label variations are titled "Let's Dance". But whatever its name it's not my favorite O&J album. I can't help hearing a band on the edge of disintegrating. While the first two LP.s were quite catchy melodic garage and the three following good pop, this lacks context like they couldn't decide direction. Just assuming here, but as some of the cuts differ in audio and volume it may be a blend of earlier unissued and newly recorded. You get self-penned and covers, dance friendly mixed with power pop and string driven ballads. Good enough though without any real top numbers. On the bright side - "Let's Dance" is a both perky and powerful cover of the Chris Montez song with nice organ and "Bird Bird" a funny self-penned trifle. I could have been without the version of Dylan's "I Want You", so slow it almost stops at a few places. The rest ok I guess, but as a whole to my taste not up there with their earlier LP:s. Also issued in Italy 1970 on Clan Celetado (BF-ES-LP 7014). US 1969 release as "Let's Dance/What A Way to Die" (GNP Crescendo GNPS 2050) with different sleeve design omitted "Hold On To What You See", "Farewell My Love", "Hear Me" and "Bird Bird", replacing them with "What I Heard Today", "Under The Ground" and "That's Why I Cry" originally on the 1967 "Under Ground" LP and "Chained And Bound" from the 1966 "Limelight". Premiere Swedish had label as shown here, heavy vinyl and fully laminated cover. (CCÖ*) (SCÄ*) (ÖJÅX*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar