fredag 22 juni 2018

DORIS DAY/DAY DREAMS CL 624 (-55) US MONO

An album very far from the music I usually collect and enjoy. Instead of filling my already shattered persona with blues, psych and more or less dirty rock'n'roll I get the opposite here - soft, romantic and very emotional. Need that too sometimes. Not only to be able to pipe down it the midst of the maelstrom, but in this case also cause it reminds me of my kid years in front of the valve radio mid and late fifties. Not that I especially remember any of the these songs from then. It's the atmosphere that does it, the warmth and sheer kindness of it all. Her voice is secure, soft and emotional, the arrangements soothing and audio downright cozy. Right to my love hungry gut. Favorite tracks - "That Old Feeling", "Sometimes I'm Happy", "You Go To My Head" and the rest. If you're in that mood this is all good. Usually I'm having a hard time to establish a timeline for US issues, but thanks to the excellent "Album Discographies" page ( http://www.bsnpubs.com/discog.html) I can nail this rather accurately. Apparently some initial copies were pressed on the red/gold label and this one of the first on "six eye". The "High Fidelity" box under "LP" logo on front cover introduced late 1955 and circle arond "LP" removed from beginning of 1956 and replaced with a box (see pic below). So though not the very first this copy is with certainty pressed late 1955. Eight of the cuts had surfaced earlier on the 1949 10 inch "Youre my thrill" (Columbia CL 6071). This extended version also originally issued in Canada (same number) and UK (Philips BBL 7120). Early US had label as shown here and laminated cover with vinyl attendance inner. (YZÄ*) (FÄV*) (ÖXCÅ*)(NYFÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar