torsdag 21 juni 2018

OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN 2310 219 (-72) ITALY

One of the most successful female artists of the late 20th century. Four time grammy awarded, OBE and AO, with a mass of records topping lists all over the world reaching a total sale in excess of 100 million. Still an aritst I've never got close to and knew very little about till I started to search facts for this post. I do remember the Grease movie and the giant surrounding hype dumped over lovers and haters alike. I didn't belong to any of those groups, in fact that whole Travolta/Newton-John thing just passed me by without a trace...like something happening on another planet. This, her second solo album, feels a lot more near to me. Recorded at Abbey Road, produced by The Shadow's Bruce Welsh and John Farrar and backed by orchestra and/or common rock/pop setting it's very un-greasy, relying more on her own vocals and feelings than studio aftereffects. To this I can connect and then live with. Maybe not top ten on the list of best female solo albums ever, but it is personal and I do get her. Favorite tracks - the two George Harrison covers - "What Is Life" and "Behind That Locked Door" plus the soft "Living In Harmony". Originally also issued in UK, Germany, South Africa and Downunder, but never in US. Japan 1989 CD on EMI "Pastmasters" serie (CP21-6073). First Italian had label as shown here and fully laminated cover. (FÄV*) (ÖTALÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar