fredag 31 januari 2020

GEORGE GERSHWIN/RHAPSODY IN BLUE - UN AMÉRICAIN A PARIS, CONDUCTED BY PAUL WHITEMAN P-303 (-54) FRANCE

Not that familiar with the "An American In Paris" part, but "Rhapsody In Blue" has been with me since my toddler days in front of the valve radio in the fifties. Some may think a work like that don't belong on a pop/rock page like this, but it's actually not that off. Among other things I've always liked to be captured in many of those side-long psych, prog or synphonic rock pieces so common in the late sixties and through the seventies - Genesis "Supper's Ready", Yes "The Revealing Science Of God" and Procol Harum's "In Held Twas In I" are just three exemples and there are many more good ones. But when it comes to contexture and ability to carry on emotions I havent till this day heard anything that could measure up to "Rhapsody In Blue". In less than twenty minutes it manages to show and transfer an array of human feelings - happiness, regret, wistfulness, pride and sadness - and that so resolutely it's impossible not to get moved. Even if I've heard it hundreds of times before I'm still melted and still smiling through the tears towards the end. So if you by chance haven't got to it yet, give it a spin and try to stay untouched. I dare you! The one here is just one of many many interpretations made through the years. Don't know if this is one of the better, but it's certainly good enough for me. Issued and reissued on 10 or 12 inch vinyl in US, Canada, Downunder and a number of European countries. Premiere US on Capitol (P 303). First French had label as shown here on very heavy unflexible vinyl in a thin glossy flip/back cover. (MFÄX*) (NYFÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar