fredag 10 januari 2020

JULIE LONDON/YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY LST 7609 (-69) US

Her thirtyfirst and last original album. What to expect from an LP where the fifties queen of smooth sexy jazz tackles sixties rock, pop and psych? As a lover of both those extremes I have to admit I was worried, but to my ears it works out just fine. Even if covering songs by Doors, Dylan, Laura Nyro, Beatles and even trying the rock classic "Louie Louie" it's still good old soothing Julie London. If it wasn't for the well known melodies you'd hear transformed beyond recognicion - slow, heavily orchestrated and much more relaxed lounge music than hard hitting hits. My favorite version here "Louie Louie" comes incredibly slow and dark accompianied by some odd flute. "Light My Fire" done in a sleepy latin version. "Sunday Morning" backed by adventurous strings. Both "And I Love Him" and "Mighty Quinn" sounds a bit too tired for my ears, but maybe that's just me. Anyway...even if out of her natural habitat she saves most of it by just being herself. Naturally her voice sounds older than in her heydays in the fifties and maybe a tad bit less inspired, but it's still good. Hard to compare with other albums covering rock and pop hits. Though certainly not as frank as the ones by for exemple David Bowie or Bryan Ferry, still interesting enough. 1969 issues also in Canada, Germany and in UK both as mono and stereo (LBL/LBS 83183). Premiere US had label as shown here and glossy cover with Liberty ad inner. (YZÄ*) (FÄV*) (JÖL*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar