måndag 25 maj 2020

BOB DYLAN/ANOTHER SIDE OF BOB DYLAN BPG 62429 (-64) UK MONO

Can't think of any other artist giving me such mixed emotions. Counting hundreds of fantastic cover versions of his songs he is without doubt one of the best American songwriters, yet for some reason I've never been able to appreciate his own takes. Like on this, where I get classics as "All I Really Want To Do", "It Aint Me Babe" and "My Back Pages". I can understand they are great songs, but my heart isn't in. Here I'm a lot more excited by this particular pressing. Through the years I've seen many different UK issues sold as "first press" and since they all can't be there has been confusion. Now I've found a copy which I'm absolute sure is a first so thought I'd share it here. Between 1962-64 UK CBS didn't have their own pressing plant, but had to rely on Philips to get their stuff out. It was first from september 1964, after buying Oriole and getting two plants into the bargain, they could start making their own pressings. So from Dylan's eponymous debute to "The Times They Are A-Changin" all were originally made by Philips. And as those issues differ from the later CBS ones and undoubtedly are earlier it's easy to get a timeline. This is one exemple. The vinyl is thick and the label is heavily structured with large BPG and "Recording First Published 1964". The laminated sleeve also has large BPG and no printers credit.  (BÖB*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar