måndag 31 maj 2021

FRANCE GALL/POUPÉE DE CIRE, POUPÉE DE SON

 Eurovision Song Contest has been going on here again. I stopped listening long time ago as the entries got further featureless and dependent on calculation rather than creative joy (more on that here https://monolover.blogspot.com/2018/06/eurovision-gala29-winners-29.html). I get there are still many fans savouring it, but as I understand more for the outfits and the show than the music itself.  Maybe it's just me getting old and unable to keep up with with the modern twists and turns, but I do think the whole thing peaked musically in the seventies and never really recovered.  Most of my ESC favorites are from the sixties, a time when you could take chances and try something new.  This winning number from 1965 with France Gall (1947-2018) is my all time fav. An exemple of how a rather simple tune could turn into something special because of adventurous arrangements. I still find the contrast between the hard working orchestra with the thundering drums and her very teen vocals enthralling.  They don't make stuff like that anymore.  (FÄV*)

 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar