tisdag 18 maj 2021

DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES/SUPREMES GREATEST HITS MS 2-663 (-67) US STEREO

 


 This is me in love, so prepare for a profuse post. The twenty-sixth Supremes album I'm doing and in a way the loveliest. No half-ass stuff here, just  twenty numbers of the highest dignity, hitting my ears one after one just right. Two LP:s with some of the best from one of the best Motown acts. Maybe I have most of the songs before and maybe I'd prefer the mono takes, but that doesn't matter as I'm listening  now. In my world in this day and age it remains a homage not only to the girls, but also to the Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting and in a way also the company at large.  So much good music and so many feelings from over fifty years ago filling my room.  No problems to pick favorites here, just check the song list and there they are, all of them.  This stereo press comes with for its time very good mixes and enjoyable audio.  It was originally pressed at a number of plants in US and I got no clue where this copy was made, but the label design tells me it's an early one.  Issued and reissued all over the world on 1xLP or 2xLP and CD through the years, also cassette, reel and 8-track.  US 1986 2xCD on Motown (MOTD 5357).  Early US vinyl had label as shown here in a thick glossy fold/out cover (some with a poster, sadly missing with this copy).   (TÖMÖ*)  (ZYZÖ*) (FÄV*)

                                                                                
                                                                                    
                                                                                  
                                                                                
                                                                            
                                                                               
                                                                                
                                                                                







 

6 kommentarer:

  1. So if this is stereo, then it probably doesn't contain the single mixes, but the album versions? Also, this is one of my favourite label designs, it's just beautiful, and far superior to the Tamla Motown label we had here in the UK.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yes with all certainty the album versions, but good enough. I really would like to find the US mono version of this album to see if they had the 45 versions there. Do you know anything about that?

    I agree the US label looks better than the UK, but I'm so used to the UK bringing me good stuff that's totally agreable to me too.

    SvaraRadera
  3. I don't know enough about the mono vs stereo differences for the albums, but I believe Motown generally had different single mixes (which were nearly always mono, especially in the 60s). I would suspect the mono album mixes of songs are not the same as the mono singles, but I couldn't say definitively.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That depends on if the mono album mixes were the same as the mono 45 ones. I don't believe the mono album is a fold, so it should have at least some of the 45 edits.

      Radera
    2. I would suspect that the 45 mix is different from the LP mix, regardless of mono or stereo as Motown wanted the singles to 'punch through' on the radio. If right, potentially there are 3 different mixes for singles - 45RPM mono mix, stereo LP mix, mono LP mix. But, I'm no expert.

      Radera
    3. Sounds right to me. Have been looking for a US mono album forever, but they never show up here and the ones I see on the net are always too much for my wallet. After what You say that probably contains the album mono mixes rather than the 45 ones. However it still is one of my most weanted.

      Radera