onsdag 18 maj 2022

PINK FLOYD/THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN SCX 6157 (-67) UK STEREO


 Wrote a rather meager post on the mono long time ago https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/04/piper-at-gates-of-dawn-sx-6157.html . Had no original stereo back then so thought I'd just wait till one showed up and then make a comparison. But as it turned out it wasn't easy to find an ok copy at a price fitting my wallet. Today I have and it only took nine years. Some might wonder why I didn't use one of the many more common and much cheaper re-presses instead. Not entirely sure myself...but it was well worth the wait.  And now when listening to both I realise a full-scale collation is more than I can handle. All tracks differ, many of them a lot, and some almost sound like different takes. As the mono with all certainty was the original mix and therefore closest to the bands intentions that will always be closest to my heart, but for now I'm trying to forget all about that and enjoy this stereo like it was the only one.  And enjoying I am. A stunning piece of psychedelia - overflowing with effects and odd whims but at the same time strangely catchy. A high flying trip, yet close and personal. And the stereo audio is tophole for its time. I'm getting both strong and detailed with lots of overlapping, making it surprisingly natural for a four channel mix. I've seen discussions on the net where people complain about it and claim the mono is a lot better. Maybe so, but why compare when both formats have so much to offer by themselves? There's no law against loving both.   (PÅX*)

                                                                                  

                                                                                

                                                                                

                                                                                  


                                                                     

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar