lördag 5 oktober 2013

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART/UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED V 2015 (-74) UK

Already a Beefheart fan when I bought this LP on arrival. First I thought it was too soft and commercial, lacking the experimenting and impudence of his earlier albums, but through the years it's grown on me. Now I like it a lot and up to this day it remains my most played Beefheart album. The same old band in partly new drag - nothing unexpected or brash, just simple attractive melodies, lots of good guitar and husky vocals. Maybe not their most artistic, but plainly enjoyable. So when I started to check the net for some background to this post I was very surprised. It seems no one likes it. Mostly unfavorable reveiws, bad initial sales and even Beefheart himself calling it "horrible and vulgar", urging the fans to take it back to the shops for refund. Not this guy - I'm playing it now as I write and it's still good to me. Favorite tracks - "Upon The My-O-My", "Full Moon, Hot Sun" and "New Electric Ride". Early US on Mercury (SRM-1-709). First UK had label as shown here and matt Robor cover.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar