söndag 18 december 2016

GENESIS/A TRICK OF THE TAIL CDS 4001 (-76) UK

After Peter Gabriel left the band set out to prove they could manage well without him and this first album as a quartet showed they did. Released to critical acclaim with big sales, reaching #3 in UK and #31 in US, it has also remained one of the band's most popular. And with the mix of complicated prog figures and commercially catchy parts I should be in love, but I'm not. In fact this was the first Genesis album I didn't truly connect with (not counting the "From Genesis To Revelation" debute which I never liked). It doesn't make sense. All the right elements are there for me - well written songs including both experimenting and good melodies topped with Phil Collins pleasant vocals. Production and arrangements meticulous and audio superb, but I can't get inside. At the time just thought I missed Gabriel, but since their next LP - "Wind And Wuthering" - immediately asked me in and embraced the shit out of me it can't be that either. I just have to accept this is a very good album loved by most other fans, but I'm not invited to the party. If I still have to pick favorites - title song and "Dance On A Vulcano". Issued and reissued on all possible medias all over the world through the years. First US on ATCO (SD 36-129). Premiere UK had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover with picture inner. (CÄX*) (GYÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar