onsdag 28 november 2018

SAM & DAVE/DOUBLE DYNAMITE S 712 (-66) US STEREO

US soul duo that, apart from a minor hit with "Hold On I'm Coming", didn't have a large impact in Sweden during my most receptive teen years. So not a combo I grew up with and not as much part of my early connection to American soul music as the Motown acts. Still learning about them myself. Apparently they were one of the most popular and biggest selling sixties soul combos in US with celebrated live shows and a large number of records high on the lists. Today by many considered forerunners in the pop-soul genre and known influence to artists as Michael Jackson, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, Stevie Winwood, Bruce Springsteen and many more. Apart from being Grammy awarded they've also through the years become members in some prestigious Hall Of Fames - Rock'n'Roll, Vocal Group, Grammy and Memphis Music. So it's with high expectations I'm now giving this their second album my premiere spin. First thing that strikes me is the excellent audio and stereo mix - wide and clear yet very together, making me feel welcome. Then the intensity - up-tempo or slow movers, all bursting with smittening energy from both players and singers. Got up dancing by myself already to the opening "You Got Me Hummin", stayed on the floor with "Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody" and would have continued through the next two slower cuts if I just had a partner here to squeeze to the rhythm. To put it simple - I'm in! Maybe not all in since I don't have any background with the duo and there's nothing in my memory that can answer to any of the separate songs. But I'm working on it and no doubt given time they will be an evident part of my soul experience. Also as US mono (Stax 712) plus US 4-track and 8-track. Other original releases on Stax in Canada, Germany (same numbers) and UK (589003). Japan 1969 on Atlantic (SMT 1023). Japan 2012 remastered CD on Stax/Rhino (WPCR 27506). Premiere US had label as shown here, thick vinyl and glossy cover. (YZÄ*)(TÄX*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar