tisdag 25 juni 2019

MANFRED MANN'S EARTH BAND/MESSIN' 6360 087 (-73) GERMANY

I became a Mann fan during the band's early Paul Jones period and stayed more or less faithful up to Chapter Three, but for reasons I can't remember stopped bying them then and havent had or listened in to anything from them after that. So with expectations built up from earlier albums I'm feeling totally lost spinning this for the first time. I awaited to hear at least something reminding of the sixties issues, but it's a different band with a totally different agenda. Instead of cozy and melodic blues/jazz pop I'm getting hard-core hard rock prog, larded with exquisite guitars...and after slowly warming up I realise it's good. Heavy and quite complicated, yet never too introvert. There are enough catchy parts to make you sit content at a first listen, but also things to discover eventually that can make it stick and stay. Too early for me to name any favorites, though I do like the adventurous title track already and "Buddha" with its guitar layers and ELP-like keyboards urges me to return and listen again. Still discovering so this will be it for now, maybe back with more later. Originally issued on vinyl in South Africa, Downunder and all over Europe. Premiere UK on "space ship" label (6360 087). US issue as "Get Your Rocks Off" (Polydor PD 5050) came with other sleeve design and different tracking. Japan 2005 CD on Air Mail Archive (AIRAC-1107) had paper sleeve and two bonus tracks. First German on swirl label as shown here, in a thin matt fold/out cover with die-cut opening on front. (MÄNÄ*) (WLÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar