torsdag 22 augusti 2019

STEELY DAN/CAN'T BUY A THRILL 1C 062-93 881 (-72) GERMANY

I still agree with what I wrote when posting their third LP - "Pretzel Logic" - five years ago. Dig the early work, but when they eventually turn in to studio project rather than a good band I'm lost. Production, arrangements and audio are important enough for the final result, but I also need captivating songs and catchy moments to feel love and I truly miss that with most of their later stuff. This debute is a lot more to my taste. Ten well written and well performed songs offering many memorable parts. To mention a couple - "Reelin' In The Years" is a killer with a very catchy melody balanced by a cunning guitar, "Only A Fool Would Say That" good pop with a latino feel, "Fire In The Hall" pleasantly perky including some bold piano. As a whole very enjoyable listening. Never provocative or challenging in any way, just a good pop/rock album carrying enough twists and turns to make it stick and remain. For now my favorite LP with the band. Issued and reissued on about every possible format all over the world through the years. Premiere US on ABC (ABCX 758), UK on Probe (SPB 1062). First German had label as shown here and laminated fold/out cover. (GÖXÄ*)(CÖLÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar