måndag 27 oktober 2014

THE BEATLES/BEATLES VI T 2358 (-65) US MONO

This is probably common to Americans of certain age, but to me and most Scandinavians very special at the time. Regular Beatles albums here in Sweden mid-sixties were ordinary UK:s plus some domestic (can't recall any of the UK exports showing up here before the very late sixties). American issues were a lot more scarce, most of them private imports through a few of the bigger record store chains. A friend had this early and I still remember hearing "Bad Boy" for the first time along with a couple of songs from the forthcoming "Help!" LP. It was pure magic, we sat like in church with straight backs and hands in knees and didn't miss a note. I was twelve years old and for a while there I felt chosen and could't wait to run and tell my other friends about it. Such reaction to a few songs may seem over-the-top today, but the industial town far north where I grew up was a small world. Decades before the net and with only one TV-channel, the music we got from radio and records was crucial and especially if you could get access to "exotic" issues like this. I still think it's a great album. From a European perspective an odd collection of songs, almost like a compilation - a blend of UK LP tracks not earlier released in US, '45 cuts and previously unissued stuff. Occationally the UK Beatles recordings were altered before released to the American public - resulting in different edits or increased use of reverb. Right me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can hear this mono has the original recordings straight on, though with less emphasis on bass which makes it a tiny bit wider and clearer. Quality pressing and audio provides a very good listening. Apart from US and Canada originally issued as stereo in New Zeeland (Parlophone PCSM 6042) and as UK stereo export (Parlophone CPCS 104). Early US mono had label as shown here and glossy cover. (BÄ*) (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*) (LGÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar