måndag 11 april 2016

DAVID CROSBY/IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME 240 1005 (-71) UK

When I bought my first copy of the album long time ago I didn't like it a lot. My listening mode was already set by the "Crosby, Stills & Nash" and "Déjá Vu" albums and Stephen Stills' debute. Just didn't think this measured up. I wanted catchy melodies and adventurous twists and turns, but what I got here was large portions of indifferent melodic flows with few chord changes and partly word-less vocals - almost some kind of western ragas with chants. Today from a more mature standpoint, regarding its place in history, I hear a gathering of friends that enjoy playing and jamming together and doing good. The guest list is impressing. Apart from band buddies Graham Nash and Neil Young also Joni Mitchell plus members of Grateful Dead, Santana and Jefferson Airplane. It's all very relaxed peace and love, but more a warm blanket to crawl under than some colorful poster. To my ears nothing on the album stands out, grabs or chills. The positive vibes comes from the atmosphere and the secure, friendly performances. Sounds like a nice party indeed and this album is a standing invitation to participate whenever you want. Premiere US on Atlantic (SD 7203). Issued and reissued on vinyl, cassette, 8-track and CD all over the world through the years, some with bonus tracks. First UK had label as shown here and slightly structured fold/out cover. (ZHÄ*) (ÄTHP*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar