fredag 12 januari 2018

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS/BLOOD & CHOCOLATE X FIEND 80 (-86) UK

Another one from the vast and varied Elvis Costello songbook. Slightly uneven as I get most of his full lengths, but with a very raw and direct atmosphere missing on most of the others. Apparently much of it recorded simultaniously in one big room at stage volume, which would explain the presence and nerve and why it hit me that hard. Well written melodic songs played live in the studio by a tight and gifted band always does it for me. Costello has always been very skilled in mimicking idioms and/or content already expressed in songs by other artists, without directly copying. And here at least I can hear that my three favorite tracks seem to be inspired by three songs released in the sixties. "Tokyo Storm Warning" sounds like a homage to Rolling Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown". "I Want You" have at least something in common with the homonymous Beatles track from Abbey Road and in "Uncomplicated" I hear about the same eager expression as in Beacon Street Union's "Sadie Said No. Non of them close enough to cause copywright problems, yet showing on influence. However that may be the offerings here are great songs and toghether with "Blue Chair" and "I Hope You're Happy Now" making it a Costello favorite on my shelf. Issued on vinyl, cassette and CD all over the world through the years. First US and Canadian vinyl on Columbia (FC 40518). UK 2002 remastered 2xCD included bonus disc with alternate versions and earlier unissued. Premiere UK had label as shown here, fully laminated cover, lyric/credit inner and two ad inserts.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar