söndag 3 mars 2013

STEAMHAMMER M 63611 (-69) UK MONO

English blues/rock band from Worthing founded in 1968. After just a year together - backing on two Freddie King tours and doing club gigs - they got a contract with CBS and recorded this debute. It didn't sell much on release but has been re-discovered and reissued later both on vinyl and CD. I think it's beautiful. Blues based with a prog feeling, heavy yet with a cozy atmosphere. It has nice vocals, is well played and stands as one of the top numbers from the early UK prog scene. The mono comes through great. Probably a fold down, still in a way better sounding than the stereo. It has the same power, but more collected with a somewhat darker taint, wich fits the atmosphere of the cuts. Good stuff. Early US on Epic (BN 26490). First UK had structured label as shown here and matt f/o cover. (YMÖ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. I feel that you have added this album in the earlier post. By the way - I love this forgotten group. Third album called 'Mountains' is amazing!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yes I did one earlier with bad pics and less facts. At the moment I'm doing a large page update, changing all the fuzzy label images and adding more pics and facts to a lot of posts. It's a messy work and it takes forever. Until I'm done I'm only posting re-makes. I don't have time or energy for new ones.

    All their three first LP:s are great :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. All of their albums that I know of are great, this one plus about 3 more.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I haven't heard "Speech" yet, but if it's as good as the first three I gotta give it a try. I'm one of few who appreciate two first more than "Mountains".

      Radera