torsdag 14 mars 2013

FREDDIE AND THE DREAMERS 33SX1577 (-63) UK MONO

My vinyl collection can loosely be divided into three categories. First those that caught me back then, changed my life and still holds me in a firm grip. Second are the ones I didn't get at all first listen, but then slowly grew on me and now feels like new aquintances. Third are the ones I liked as a youngen, but today gives no connection at all, and I keep them just because they reflect a certain period or for some reason are considered very collectable. This belongs to that third category. Manchester band with four top 5 UK hits 1963-65 and and a few more top 20. When the European market started to fail them in -64 the band jumped on the British Invasion wagon and got further success in US with "I'm Telling You Now" reaching #1, three more top 20:s and further top 50:s. A lot of the popularity was connected to their stage show and appearances in movies. All well rehearsed including rythmic movements, funny faces and silly walks, topped by Freddie Garrity's wacky voice. That caught me as a 10 year old and I was a fan for a year or so. Today I got no relation to this debute at all. Standard covers with standard backing. The vocals are partly OK, but it lacks all tension or drama. Later they moved on to record LP:s for kids and Garrity starred in a TV childrens show early seventies. Listening to this LP that makes a lot of sense. It's not really for grown-ups, more suitable for the youngest sixties fans and probably also parents who prefered kids listening to something cute and well behaved rather than the more dangerous rock'n'roll subspecies. US issues with the group differed a lot from UK, but Mercury 1966 eponymous release (SR 61017/MG 21017) has many tracks in common with this. First UK in mono only had label with "Recording first published 1963" as shown here and laminated flip/back cover.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar