söndag 10 mars 2013

CATERINA VALENTE WITH STANLEY BLACK/GREAT CONTINENTAL HITS LK 4508 (-62) UK MONO

Although musical taste shifts and shapes as long as we live, the foundation how to recieve melodic structures and idioms is created very early. Even if today I mostly go for drug infected rock, psych and prog, there are moments when even the simplest romantic tune or lullaby can grab me and make my eyes wet. Most of those moments are related to my pre-teens. Stuff I heard on the radio, records my parents played or songs they sang to me. Valente was part of that period. Mostly latin oriented with an exotic accent she was hugely popular around the world, especially in US and northern European countries. This LP was made in collaboration with Stanley Black - English OBE awarded jazz musician, composer and band leader. Valentes vocals are already so much part of my musical past l'm home whatever she does and can't value, but clearly it's Black's arrangements that makes this album fly. They're everywhere - supporting, teasing and counterpointing. I take his work at this time became an inspiration for many later sixties orchestrated pop LP:s. It's a cover album with songs originating from various European countries and a mix of romance and latino rythms. The audio is warm and cozy and perfect for reminiscing. Very first UK press had ridged label as shown here with "Recording first published 1962" and laminated flip/back cover. (FÄV*)(FÖGÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar