onsdag 13 mars 2013

THE GUESS WHO/ROCKIN' SF 8269 (-72) UK

I usually write and post early mornings before the day starts. Now it's still dark ouside. We've had a long winter. Morning temp is -18 celsius and it's snowing. When I'm alone I always have good music to keep me company. This is what I'm listening to right now. Had copies from first release and although not frequently on my turntable I re-discover it every now and then - always with great joy. Apart from being a good production with top audio it has some of Cummings best vocals and a kind of free spirited guitar work, sliding between fifties up-tempo and seventies hard rock. All made with energy and lots of good humor. My favorites - the raw rocker "Heartbroken Bopper", bringing tons of raunchy guitars and an alluring riff, perfectly balanced by Cummings voice and "Heaven Only Moved Once Yesterday" with a beautiful melody to a slow bouncy background. It wasn't a big seller - peaking at #79 on Billboard, not charting in UK - and today it's one of those forgotten gems. I met a guy my age at the record shop a while ago who mentioned he liked it, but that's the most positive I heard about it in decades. I think it's worth a lot more attention. Early US on RCA Victor (LSP 4602). First UK had label as shown here and laminated cover with lyric/credit insert.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar