måndag 25 mars 2013

STAY WITH THE HOLLIES PMC 1220 (-64) UK MONO

The tenth Hollies album I'm posting here and I guess my positive feelings for their Ron Richards produced sixties LP:s is no secret anymore. As a collector I'm always dividing records into different categories, most of them overlapping. This falls into "Mersey Beat", "British Invation", "Brit Pop" and "Debute Albums". I have friends who find their first too simple and almost scrawny in comparison to later albums. I can't compare or value like that, all I hear is a charming debute. A couple of guys in their early twenties who after a few singles get a chance to record an LP for the Beatles label - and 1964 that was a big thing. One song is self-written, the rest standard covers. Most of it happy positive up-tempo with harmonic vocals, very fast and sometimes so eager they stumble over notes and words. EMI had fine equipment for it's time, but by todays measures primitive. It's clear most of it was made live in the studio with only few overdubs or re-takes. This is how it was and it's still here for us to capture. Musically it may not be the groups best, still very enjoyable as a debute album and piece of music histrory. US releases had a different agenda, but "Here I Go Again" (1964 Imperial LP 9265) came with some of the same tracks. First UK had label as shown here with "Recording first published 1964" and laminated flip/back cover. Also issued in stereo (PCS 3054). (HÖLY*) (PÖX*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar