onsdag 22 maj 2013

GENTLE GIANT/THREE FRIENDS 6360 070 (-72) UK

Group evolving from "Simon Dupree & the Big Sound" (see earlier post). They have a long and well documented history wich I'm not repeating here (good link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentle_Giant). Their music is the opposite of easy listening - intellectual, difficult and demanding. It's a kind of prog, using all possible genres from baroque and on, with lyrics often sprung from classic philosophy or modern psychiatry. Always an adventure, but sometimes challenging. One of those groups you either love or hate, it's hard to stay indifferent while listening. I'm slowly becoming a fan, but as it seems way too late. In the eighties no one here was interested and you could easily get a UK 1st press for $5. Today almost impossible to find a top copy of their Vertigo swirls under $100 and it's getting out of my reach. So far this third LP is my only original. A theme album dealing with the lives of three childhood friends. Considered a little less complicated than their previous and also made it to Billboard #197, but still far from commercial. Most of the tracks can be described as jazz/rock fusion with surprising twists and turns, dimly related to Zappa or other progressive artists of the period, yet one of a kind. US vinyl on Columbia with different wrapping (KC 31649). Also had many CD re-issues, first 1989 on US Columbia (CK 31649). Early UK on swirl as shown here and thick matt fold/out cover. (WLÖ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Your first Vertigo Swirl on here, no?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes it is. Apart from the obvious, like Paranoid, Valentyne Suite and a few more, I don't have many of those. I didn't jump on the train in time and now about everything UK with a swirl on it is getting too dear for me.

      Radera
  2. I hear ya. Though to find in clean condition these, but not impossible. Quite a few in there of these first two years I like.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Lots of good music there, but prices makes me have some of it on later labels. My first way in was "Vertigo Annual 1970" sampler. Lots of good music and also one of the best psych covers ever. I miss that one.

    SvaraRadera