lördag 4 januari 2014

STEELY DAN/PRETZEL LOGIC SPBA 6282 (-74) UK

A group I came to appreciate late in life. In the early eighties I had a producer wannabe friend who adored them. He played me their records in small portions, all the time pointing out the expertise and peculiarities in production and arrangements. After a while I knew a lot about how they handeled the studio work, but the music totally escaped me. It was like watching a movie and concentrate more on camera angles and the actors make-up than the film itself. For many years the group was dead to me - reduced to audio and technical stuff. Anyway some time ago I heard "Reelin' In The Years" on the radio and liked it a lot. Very surprised when I found out it was early Steely Dan and decided to give them one more try. Now I can appreciate the music and really dig their first three albums. The later ones - like "Aja" - are still spoiled for me, but I may get there later. This was their third album. It's very good pop/rock with catchy melodies, fine guitars and pleasant vocals. More soothing than stirring and nothing for adventurous moods, but suitable background to softer whereabouts. Favorite tracks - "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" and "Pretzel Logic". Premiere US on ABC (ABCD-808). In UK their first three albums originally came on Probe and after the label was abandoned summer 1974 re-issued on ABC UK. So for this 1974 release only the very first press was on Probe. It had label as shown here, matt fold/out cover and custom inner with "Radio Luxembourg" ad. (CÖLÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar