torsdag 9 januari 2014

YES/TALES FROM THE TOPOGRAPHIC OCEAN K 80001 (-73) UK

By many considered a great moment in prog/psych/symphonic rock. I have to admit that after forty years I'm still not fully acquainted with the album. It has nothing to do with the pretentious outset, building on Jon Anderson's understanding of some hindu scriptures - those were the days and we didn't expect less at the time. I never had a problem with the lengthy cuts either - good music is adventure and twenty minutes beats 2.30 in most cases. The truth is that apart from the first side it wont let me in. I can hear good stuff on every level, but there's no connection...and believe me I've tried. So this is just about the opening - "The Revealing Science Of God". That gave me goose bumps already at first listen and still does, especially at the end. Constructed like a classical piece with harmonic development through movements and ending in a grand finale. From an outsiders point of veiw it's just a complex web of melodic layers and rythmic structures tied together by a couple of general themes. But once you're in there it is a wonderful adventure filled with fetching harmonies, odd turns and brilliant performances. Indeed a friendly zone - warm and tidy - and one you wanna return to often. It's a pity I haven't been able to get the same connection with the three remaining cuts, but hopefully there's still time. First US on Atlantic (SD 2-908). Contemporary release all over the world and frequently re-issued on vinyl and CD through the years. Premiere UK had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover. (JÄZ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. favorite yes album, favorite yes art. happy new year!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I agree side one is among the best they did...together with almost everything on their previous albums :)

      Radera