onsdag 9 december 2015

JAMES BROWN AND THE FAMOUS FLAMES/PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG HA 8262 (-66) UK MONO

He's been crowned father, grandfather or godfather of US funk or modern soul many times and did renew the genres in the fifties and early sixties just by doing his thing before Motown and Atlantic soul division took over the baton. Keeping a legendary status he did many successful comebacks, in his last days topped by performing for over 80.000 at Oxegen festival in Ireland and being inducted to UK Music Hall Of Fame just before his death 2006. Today still hailed by soul/funk fans and old time collectors, but as it seems almost forgotten or even unknown by newer generations of music lovers. First time I heard this album back in the mid sixties it didn't connect. US soul to me then had been Supremes style - melodic, soft and civilized. This was raw and dangerous done by a gut feeling, different from all I've heard so far. So I pushed it away and it wasn't until the seventies disco funk wave I finally got it. It's not an Elvis in black leather singing "In The Ghetto" or posh disco freaks miming funk. This is it, the origin - music born in the actual ghetto from bad circumstances and the screams are for real. Maybe I'm taking it too far by saying that he sounds like a guy struggling with all he's got to get out into something better, but that's what I hear on this album. Favorites - title track, "You Don't Have To Go" and "And I Do Just What I Want". Premiere US on King (S/938) with a "bag" cover. UK 1967 reissue on Pye International (NPL 28099) came with "dance" cover. First UK on London had label as shown here and laminated "star" cover.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar