måndag 17 februari 2020

DAVID BOWIE/DIAMOND DOGS APL1 0576 (-74) UK

I became a Bowie fan already with "The Man Who Sold The World" and stayed as such up to and with "Scary Monsters". And though all his albums between those two have enough parts to enthrall me, I don't dig every second of every one. As this was the first without any of The Spiders it has been called "post-Ziggy", yet to me it's more "last" than "post". It may be the cool cat has changed into a gem dog, but still a pet with the same hairdo, so come on. Apparently partly a remain from a planned theme album, building on George Orwell's "1984", which for different reasons was abandoned. Might be interesting to know why, but for me most important is if it's riveting or not. And it is...precisely half of it. I'm not all in with side one - starting and ending with Rolling Stones pastiches, surronding a mushy three track combo that would have benefited from a good clean-up to get it straight. To me it's the entire side two that makes this album special and one I wanna return to often. Starting with two beautiful ballads - "When You Rock'n'roll With Me" and "We Are The Dead" - that still can give me goosebumps if I'm the right mood...just listen to his own background vocals in the latter...mmmmm. Then continuing with the catchy "1984" and "Big Brother" before ending with the inventive and strangely hypnotic "Chant Of The Ever Circling Skeletal Family". That is very good Bowie and a worthy swansong for Ziggy...may he rest in peace. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. Some vinyl and CD reissues with bonus tracks. Premiere UK had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover. (PKÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar