fredag 7 februari 2020

STEPHEN STILLS/MANASSAS K 60021 (-72) UK

To my taste his second best solo effort after the eponymous debute (see earlier post) and also one of the classic double albums. Divided into four parts, one for each side - The Raven, The Wilderness, Consider and Rock'n'Roll Is Here To Stay - but when listening through I forget all about sectioning and just enjoy it as an entity. Played by a most competent American band consisting of Chris Hillman (Byrds) and Dallas Taylor (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) among others, with Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia and Rolling Stone Bill Wyman pitching in on a couple of cuts each. Too much goodies to go into details with here, but if I had to pick just one favorite track - "Rock & Roll Crazies". As a whole a good chunk of American period rock giving me a warm welcoming feeling. I'm not all in with the audio on this UK original. I hear borderline unbalanced - the bass on some of the cuts comes out too big and the treble partly too bright - together making it sound unnatural thus hampering full connection. I'm aware that's just according to my taste and some may prefer it like this, but it's not how I want my Manassas so I'll probably lose it and try to find a US original instead, hoping for a more propotional outcome. Be back with more when I do. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. Premiere US on Atlantic (SD 2-903), also as white label mono promo. First UK had label as shown here, matt fold/out cover, picture inners and poster. (ZHÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar