onsdag 12 december 2012

COLOSSEUM/THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE SALUTE YOU DS-50062 (-69) US

The groups first US LP, issued about the same time as "Valentyne Suite" in UK. Their second American album "The Grass Is Greener"  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/11/colosseumthe-grass-is-greener-ds-50079.html  was unique with otherwise unissued tracks or versions. This is a mix between first two UK LP:s - "The Kettle" and first two movements of the suite are from "Valentyne", the rest from the homonymous English debute. As far as I can hear it's the same takes as on the UK albums, maybe this sounds clearer at parts, but there's nothing revolutionary about the record. What made me pick this up as soon as I saw it was the cover. Inside f/o have a similar design to UK, but both back and front has mosaics of early live pics I haven't seen anywhere else. Musically there's nothing new here, but for us die-hard fans of this legendary band these pics are enough to make the issue essential. Posting a few below... (CÖL*) (YZÄ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. One correction: this album has only the first two movements of Valentyne Suite and ends with Beware of the Ides of March, rather than The Grass is always Greener (the original 3rd movement). This re-edit is exclusive to this album.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Of course :) I don't know where my mind was. Thanks for sorting that out.

    I like both first US LP:s a lot. The only bad thing is the butchering of the suite. I don't understand why they cut it. Here the UK original is a much better choice with the full sequence.

    SvaraRadera