måndag 10 december 2012

PINK FLOYD/OBSCURED BY CLOUDS SHSP 4020 (-72) UK


   The worlds most known and biggest selling psychedelic band. Back then they tackled the genres with a fearless almost cheeky attitude, as it seems without regard to sales. In the early seventies I loved all the boundary breaking and the oddities...and my preference - the wierder the better. But there was also another side of the group - compositions of melodic ballads and slow rockers, nice simple songs with almost ordinary production. Even if I still occationally enjoy the outrageous, today my heart more belongs to their simple tunes. This was songs for a film score - Barbet Schroeder's "La Vallée" - loosely inspired by cuts from the film. It was made during the "Dark Side Of The Moon" sessions and rush-recorded in two trips to Paris. While "Dark Side Of The Moon" took almost a year to finish this was made in weeks, but if I had to choose one today it's this. Side one starts with two short instrumental moog rockers and second side ends with chants from the New Guinean Mapuga tribe with psychedelic overdubs. The rest of the album consists of seven nice songs with common production, few effects and average timing. It's melodic and realised with a very cozy atmosphere. All those years with Pink Floyd - the experimenting, ground breaking and drug infected - and this is what I like today...the down-right ordinary. Favorite track - "Wots...Uh The Deal". It sold pretty well at arrival. #1 in France, #6 in UK and #46 on US album list. First US on Harvest/Capitol (SW-11078). Early UK with label as shown here, "The Gramophone Co." top left and "MADE IN GT BRITAIN" above bottom rim. Cover is thin, structured with rounded corners. I had a 2nd press for a while, with "EMI records Ltd" on top left label, and in comparison this first sounds a little louder and more "open". (PÅX*)(HÄVL*)

8 kommentarer:

  1. True, regarding your last comment. The record was quickly re-cut because EMI was getting too many complaints of skipping needles w/ the first -1/-1 cut. I have the later -4/-4 cut. Judging from the label I'd say it's from no later than 1973.

    Not my favorite PF record, I'm afraid, though I mostly finding myself agreeing with your sentiment that the weirder stuff has lost some of its appeal over time. Of the 1968-1973 batch, I'd probably rate Atom Heart Mother as my dearest, closely followed by Meddle.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I didn't know about the re-cut. Don't recall any skipping but there are a few sharp "pops" on a clean record so that would explain it.

    Atom Heart Mother is also a favorite with one of their best tracks - "Summer 68". I will try to post on that later.

    Although I dig almost everything they did, the early years 1967-72 is what I like most. It's closer and more personal and I feel something gets lost later with the longer sessions in the bigger and more advanced studios. I'm probably alone here, but that's how I feel.

    SvaraRadera
  3. You are not alone, I think that Pink Floyd became more..."safely" with their music after 1972. It was the end with experiments.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Yes and even if some of the experimenting sounds dated today, the attitude was right - do what you want with what you got! I've always preferred personal and naked over adjusted and perfectly dressed.

    SvaraRadera
  5. ...and many months of work to record only five (Wish You Were Here, Animals) or ten (Dark Side ...) simple tracks on the album - polished, hit, but without a hint of spontaneity.
    OK, 'Animals' is exception. I like this album, is far better than overrated 'Wish You Were Here'.

    SvaraRadera
  6. I must admit I like both DSOTM and WYWH, but not as much as the earlier stuff. Maybe the enormous hype, going on for decades, and the huge commercial success has made me less interested - they're not THAT good. I agree "Animals" still stands strong. It's more direct with a special feeling, reminding me of "Meddle".

    SvaraRadera
  7. It's about 'Obscured by clouds'.

    http://youtu.be/IG0SayJH_KQ?t=2m35s

    SvaraRadera
  8. I got Dark Side Of The Moon from that adress, but still an interesting movie.

    SvaraRadera